Thursday, February 14, 2013

MY GUY




My first solid memory is of me sitting on the kitchen counter top watching my dad fix us his specialty; sloppy peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. For us in the Peanut butter and Jelly  sandwich eating world, we all know that no one makes a better sandwich than a Daddy.
He would always draw a heart in the peanut butter before lathering on the jelly. This was just one of many dinner dates we had.

I always assocate with my father the mixed smells of  leather, cigarette smoke and chocolate whopper candies.
When I was a little kid I remember him sneaking me ice cream and candy when my mom wasn’t looking.
I was a foodie from day one, as a chubby toddler nibbling on everything I could. This was one of the reasons how I got my nickname. “Munch”

I’m 32 and he until he got sick, he still called me Munch.

I remember when I was a teen and I was on my way to school and he was coming home from work (he worked early shifts) we would take a brief minute and have a cup of coffee together. This was just many of the coffee breaks we would share.

For nearly 10 years we had a monthly movie date. He would buy the tickets and I would buy the candy and popcorn.


I remember that Thanksgiving in my early 20’s where I did my best to replicate the stuffing the way that his mother made it. It was crunchy and weird, but he ate it with a smile.

That night last year when me and my boyfriend had my dad over for baked ziti to watch “the Big Lebowski” and I kept cringing that I had put too much green pepper in the ziti.

My dad knew I was trouble from day one. And I know he was always pleased as punch that I was so opinionated and firey, even though I know he worried about me, and my determinatation to take on City Hall.

Every Valentines Day he would send me a card. When I was a little girl, there would be chocolates along with the Card, in a pink envelope.
In this time I think of all the good times. The purloined candies, the shared Ice Cream and Cake.
Our movie dates…
The dinners…
Our coffee dates…

James Frank Burgess left this mortal coil on February 7, 2013.

I thought that I would have these dates with him forever and ever. I never thought I would never get to split a donut with him, watch a movie with him or hear him complain about the effing politicians.
But you know what? my daddy was epic.
 My dad was my first Valentine; my fella, my buddy and my confidant. I’m not quite sure how I’m expected to keep on living without him, however I know he exists in every breath I take and every thing I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment